Toasty Oven Chickpeas

You can’t just eat one!! This delicious snack is highly addictive and packed with protein. And did we mention easy?! Great for on the go snacking!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Ingredients:

1 15.5 oz. can of Chickpeas [garbanzo beans] (we use organic)

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. onion powder

olive oil, for coating chickpeas

salt/pepper to taste

hot sauce or other spices (curry) optional

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Method of Prep:

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees

Drain, rinse and pat dry the Chickpeas

In medium sized bowl, toss Chickpeas in olive oil

Add spices/ salt & pepper and coat Chickpeas thoroughly

Spread out on a parchment lined sheet pan

Place in the oven for about 40 mins. (Ovens do vary, so keep a close watch as they may need less time) Stir around the chickpeas every so often to ensure proper browning.

Remove from oven and let cool entirely before eating.

Serves 1-2.

We never need to store this tasty snack because they are all gone in a hurry. But if you do, an air-tight container with a little rice in the bottom will ensure they stay crispy and fresh!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Snacks

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

175 Comments on “Toasty Oven Chickpeas”

1. sara
    February 1, 2014 at 9:11 am #

made these 3 days ago and put them in a container. they are still crispy, but…………i think ill warm them for about 10 minutes before snacking on them tomorrow when everyone else is eating junk.

2. Jean Jeske
    February 1, 2014 at 2:44 pm #

I am going to try this recipe, 45 to 50 mins at 400 degrees does not sound right so will watch them closely and stir often. This sure sounds good.

• February 2, 2014 at 1:57 am #

Probably 400 Fahrenheit. Which is about 180 Celsius

• Pierre Tremblay
        February 2, 2014 at 4:07 pm #

350 F = 180 C
        400 F = 205 C
        I have both in my oven
        Pierre from Montreal

• Margo
      February 2, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

I just made them and 400 degrees for40 minutes wasn’t quite enough. Mine are a little chewy, but delicious.

• February 3, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

I just made them…super quick to prepare literally 7 minutes…put them in the oven (no parchment, I ran out) after 20 minutes @ 400degreesF and being stirred every 5 minutes the fire alarm went off. They were popping open and jumping right off the pan into the bottom of the oven burning.. I pulled them out, Most were done, some were not but I just ate a whole can of chickpeas…they were delicious. The dogs loved them too!

• Mike
      February 6, 2014 at 5:00 pm #

I would and will try 350 for 30 to 40 min. The idea is to internally get rid of the moisture within the chickpea. 350* should be ok. I would check every 5 minutes after the 20 min mark. That way either I or someone else can let us know how they progressed.
      Peace;
      MPT

3. Ellen
    February 2, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

I made these yesterday. My Husband who hates chick peas, could not get enough. So he ran out to the store early this morning so I can make more! Great recipe.

4. Joan
    February 2, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

My mom use to make something like this when I was a kid she use dried chickpeas and had to cook then first then dry then by baking them in the oven she did season them and use oil she would put then in paper bags and we would take them outside and eat them they were so good! I will try them thanks for the memories

• Jac
      February 9, 2014 at 5:03 pm #

Please try to use punctuation. It makes reading your comments so much easier. Thank you.

• Jacisawhiner
        February 23, 2014 at 11:26 am #

Ifyoudontlikethewaysomeonetypesdontreaditandgoaway

• shannon
        March 18, 2014 at 9:04 am #

Petty

• Cindy
        June 26, 2014 at 1:36 pm #

Agree, Jac.

5. misty
    February 2, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

Very excited making these as we speak, should they be crunchy before they’re out of the oven? Or do they cool crunchy?

6. Helene Rose
    February 2, 2014 at 6:38 pm #

You just complicated my favorite snack. I eat them right out of the can. Love them. Helene

7. February 3, 2014 at 4:00 am #

Find out all about chickpeas on this site: http://exploreit.icrisat.org/page/chickpea/685

8. Serena Kent
    February 3, 2014 at 9:37 am #

Going to make this today! Excited to see how they taste!

9. Primrose Wylde
    February 4, 2014 at 2:07 pm #

Heyyy …this sounds awesomeeeee. I really don’t much like chic peas any more in a dish. kMany thans

10. Tiki kirk
    February 4, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

Have made 4 batches to get them “just right” over the past 4 days. 400 degrees for 40 minutes in a gas oven is exactly right. Theres a fine line between perfect and “oooops burned!!! lol. Be warned — One can has 420 calories in it — I finished an entire can without breaking a sweat!!

11. February 5, 2014 at 3:41 pm #

Sweet recipe??? I know that out there some where there is a recipe to make them so they are sweet tasting and crunchy. Anyone have it???

12. February 8, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

40 minutes in my oven @ 400 was way too long. Pulled them out at just over 30 and some still burned. Will have to work on time & temp, unless anyone has solved it.

13. February 12, 2014 at 9:03 pm #

Reblogged this on My Random Awesomeness and commented:
    Trying this right now.

14. February 16, 2014 at 12:12 am #

I love chickpeas and this recipe. For a variation, use sesame oil, celery salt and white pepper. Another variation uses curry powder, chilli powder and cumin powder (for a spicy kick).

15. Dawn
    February 19, 2014 at 10:05 am #

Any nutrition facts available for this recipe? Thanks

• June
      March 29, 2014 at 11:55 am #

High protein, high calories, high fiber and high iron. A few as a snack is appropriate.

16. Ginny
    February 19, 2014 at 5:59 pm #

Just made these this afternoon. Baked in gas oven at 400 for 45 minutes because I doubled the recipe. Just started to “brown.” Wouldn’t roast them any longer than that … probably 40 mins for one can of peas. Problem was, I was making them for a group and they didn’t serve as many as I thought by doubling the recipe. Wish the recipe had told how many the one recipe serves.

• Cindy
      June 26, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

Info on the can label says 1 15.5 oz can yields approximately 3.5 1/2 cup servings.

17. carolthompson194299564
    February 20, 2014 at 9:00 am #

Reblogged this on Bright Side Newspapers, Cobb County, Georgia.

18. March 9, 2014 at 9:35 am #

We eaten this since we were kids…in Guyana we call it Channa!! So delish!!
    Add some Tastefully Simple garlic garlic, onion onion, garlic pepper seasoning….any of them!! OMG, finger licking good!!

19. Lori
    March 18, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Just made them. 400 degrees for 40 minutes was too long! Most were burnt, but the ones that weren’t were tasty! Next time I will reduce the time & oven temp. Probably 350 for 30 minutes.

20. tash
    March 25, 2014 at 7:21 pm #

These are sooooo tasty!! Even more delish when you roast sweet potato pineapple and curry along with the chickpeas!

21. May 22, 2014 at 11:29 am #

It’s an remarkable post designed for all the web visitors; they will take benefit from
    it I am sure.

22. June 3, 2014 at 4:57 pm #

What’s up, I log on to your blogs regularly.
    Your story-telling style is witty, keep it up!

23. June 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm #

If you follow this advice, you will immediately see a dramatic change in your weight and
    body fat composition. As we age our bodies are less able to absorb these vitamins
    not to mention the lack of proper nutrition in the foods we eat.
    Ask your students to locate more examples of irony in the novel.

24. June 18, 2014 at 2:28 am #

Hey there! I’ve been following your web site for a long time
    now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Tx!
    Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic work!

• June 18, 2014 at 6:13 am #

Hi! So glad you are enjoying it. Thank you so much!

25. June 19, 2014 at 4:43 am #

Hey There. I found your blog the usage of msn. That is a very smartly written article.
    I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post.
    I’ll definitely return.

26. July 30, 2014 at 5:37 pm #

Asking questions are genuinely fastidious thing if you are not understanding something totally, except this post gives
    pleasant understanding even.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Toasty Oven Chickpeas | onomatopoeia - January 25, 2014

[…] Toasty Oven Chickpeas. […]

2. Cooking | Annotary - January 26, 2014

[…] beingveganeats.com […]

3. Better-For-You Superbowl Spread | getmyrd - January 28, 2014

[…] great pre-game nosh:  Toasty Oven Chickpeas.  Delicious, nutrititous, and unexpected – always a good combo! […]

4. My Week on Wednesday… January 29 » Once Upon a Time in a Bed of Wildflowers - January 29, 2014

[…] am always looking for good, healthy, fun snacks to send in the kids’ lunches. These Toasty Oven Chickpeas look like fun (especially because the Pixie can’t bring nuts into her classroom; a friend has […]

5. Roasted Garbanzo Beans | Fimo Fanatic: Charlene's Blog - January 30, 2014

[…] last night I gave it a try.  Man!  Talk about easy to make.  And super tasty!  Here’s the original recipe and I’ll share what I did to change it a […]

6. The Old Gray Mare… She Ain’t What She Used to Be | Fit Is The NEW 40! - January 30, 2014

[…] roasted chickpeas using this recipe while I was preparing my hot juice. I forgot about them (fuzzy head casualty)  and they got a […]

7. Toasty Oven Chickpeas | MannaMarket Organic CO-OP and Food Hub - January 31, 2014

[…] Toasty Oven Chickpeas. […]

8. This Weekend – s e t t i n g SAIL - January 31, 2014

[…] I’m hoping to bake up some roasted chickpeas with various spices using this recipe. I’ve also got my eye on this scrumptious veggie side dinner […]

9. Fueling Up for the Olympics: Nutritionist Recommended Snacks | Andrea Bartels Registered Nutritional Therapist - February 11, 2014

[…] Roasted Chickpeas:  More protein and fibre than popped corn, these can be seasoned as mild or as hot as you’d like.  I’d  toss them in coconut oil, which is more heat-stable. […]

10. Toasty Oven Chickpeas | lynnfairfield - February 18, 2014

[…] Toasty Oven Chickpeas. […]

11. Roasted Chick Peas and Star Wars! | Attic Musings - February 22, 2014

[…] on some “Toasty Oven Chick Peas”, the recipe I acquired from this link. Tweaking to what I have here…garbanzo beans, baking pan sans parchment paper, and garlic and […]

12. Comptonplations™ » Blog Archive » Oscar Night - March 2, 2014

[…] I’m the person who tries to make his night special for him. I procured a movie-themed wine; I roasted chickpeas for nosh; I have a light supper planned; there are cheeses and smoked almonds for […]

13. Oven Roasted Chick Peas | The NON COOKING COOK - March 8, 2014

[…] Toasty Oven Chickpeas […]

14. A Moment on the Lips: Roasted Chickpeas! | TYPE A CITY GIRL - March 10, 2014

[…] how to incorporate more chickpeas into my diet to up my protein and iron levels. I originally found this recipe, but alas, my student house kitchen doesn’t have garlic or onion powder, just a whole lot of […]

15. Chili Lime Toasty Oven Chickpeas | Being Vegan Eats - May 2, 2014

[…] is our follow up to our now famous Toasty Oven Chickpeas. With Cinco de Mayo around the corner we would love to introduce to you our new Chili Lime Toasty […]